Ravi Shankar Prasad
Minister of Law and Justice and Information Technology and Communications, MP, Patna Sahib, Bihar, BJP
Ravi Shankar Prasad is the Minister of Law and Justice, Electronics and Information Technology, and Communications in the Govt of India. He was born on 30-August-1954 to Thakur Prasad in Patna. He completed his MA in Political Science and LLB degrees from Patna University. His father Thakur Prasad was a senior advocate at the Patna High Court and one of the leading founders of the Jan Sangh the predecessor of the Bharatiya Janata Party. Prasad married Maya Shankar, who is a Historian and Professor of History at Patna University.
Prasad was a lawyer at Patna High Court in 1980 and worked as a Designated senior advocate at Patna High Court in 1999 and in 2000 he served as Senior Advocate in the Supreme Court of India.
Prasad began his political career as a Student Leader in the 1970s and worked in the student movement in Bihar under the leadership of Jayaprakash Narayan and was an active volunteer of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). He was associated with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and ABVP for many years and held various posts in the organizations. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP). During his college days, he was Assistant General Secretary of the Patna University Students Union. Prasad has held several national-level assignments in the youth wing and the main party organization of the BJP. Since 1995 Prasad has been a member of BJP National Executive.
Some more Positions which he held:
- In 2000: He was elected to Rajya Sabha and subsequently made Member of Committee on Petroleum and Chemicals and Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance.
- In 2001: Elected Minister of State in the Ministry of Coal and Mines.
- In 2002: Minister of State in the Ministry of Law and Justice.
- In 2003: Minister of State of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- In 2004: Member of Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance. Member of Committee on Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (Rajya Sabha). Member of Committee on Human Resource Development.
- In 2006: He was re-elected to Rajya Sabha for a second term. Subsequently elected as Member of Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs.
- In 2009: Member of Committee on Information Technology, Member of Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance.
- In 2012: Ravi Shankar was re-elected to Rajya Sabha for a third term and elected Member of Committee on Finance and Member of Business Advisory Committee.
- In 2016: Minister of Law and Justice, and Minister of Electronics and Information Technology.
- In 2018: He was re-elected to Rajya Sabha to serve a fourth term.
- In 2019: Ravi Shankar Prasad fought his first Lok Sabha election from Patna Sahib constituency and defeated Congress’s Shatrughan Sinha by a margin of over 2,85,000 votes. He was subsequently appointed Minister of law and justice, Minister of communications, and Minister of electronics and information technology.
- Soon after taking over as a Minister for the Ministry of Coal and Ministry of Mines (India), Ravi Shankar Prasad accelerated the reforms process in the mining and coal sectors.
- In July 2002, after taking charge of the Ministry of Law and Justice (State), he prepared a bill to amend the Representation of People Act within a fortnight in 2002.
- In 2003, he became the information and broadcasting minister where he was responsible for introducing reforms in the radio, television, and animation which improved the quality and functioning of these sectors. He helped establish Goa as the location of the International Film Festival of India. He also led the Indian delegation to film festivals in Cannes, Venice, and London.
- In April 2002, he led the Indian delegation to the Non-Aligned Movement’s ministerial meet in Durban, South Africa. Later he met Yasser Arafat in Ramallah as a member of a Non-Aligned delegation to express solidarity with him.
- He led the Indian delegation to the Commonwealth Law Minister Summit in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. He has led the Indian delegation to film festivals in Cannes, Venice, and London.
- As Minister for Communication, he supported Public Sector Unit, BSNL, which he has hailed as a strategic asset, to compete with private sector Service Providers. He told the Parliament that the Government wants BSNL to flourish for the welfare of the poor and is serving even the remotest rural areas and is the first to provide services during disasters and emergencies.
- He has adopted the village of Alawalpur under the Fatuha block of Patna district as a model village to be developed under the Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana.
Minister Ravi Shankar Addressed the general meeting in Gardnibagh under the Digha assembly of Patna and campaigned for BJP candidate Sanjeev Chaurasia.
Ravi Shankar Addressed the intellectual dialogue program at Khanjekala, water tank, Rajdarbar hall under Patna Sahib Legislative Assembly.
Ravi Shankar held a meeting with National President Shri Jagat Prakash Nadda Ji at the residence of senior BJP worker in Purnia with local intellectuals, doctors, etc.
BJP National President Shri Jagat Prakash Nadda Ji held a meeting with all the office bearers of NDA at Purnia and reviewed the election campaign. Under the leadership of Nitish Kumar, the whole NDA will unite and form the government with a full majority in Bihar once again.
Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad Inaugurated the BJP election office in Digha Legislative Assembly of Patna.
Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad met BJP workers in Fatehpur and Gaurichak Panchayat under the Fatuha Assembly of Patna and reviewed election preparations.
At minister Ravi Shankar’s residence in Patna, minister Ravi had a meeting with the office-bearers of BJP Patna Metropolitan District and discussed the preparations for the election.